Tuesday, February 9, 2010

New ways of creating


( 'Whirlwind' - 24 x 48, Acrylic and Acrylic inks - October 2009 - *not the best picture)


One of my 'in process' paintings was a fluke (not the one posted above).  I was playing around with some medium and acrylic inks and the results were amazing.  I love how the colors blended and dried - really quite extraordinary if I have to say so myself.  I do have some trimming to do since it left a thick layer on the surface of the canvas.  I still have some kinks to work out with this technique.


I love when you find a new way to do something - especially somewhat accidentally.  I taped off the edges of the canvas (using a gallery wrapped canvas) so that the surface had an edge to it.  I poured the medium on thickly and then dropped in the various acrylic inks and then moved them around in a pattern.  The mixture of me moving the inks and the slight tilt of my drafting table that I work on created an amazing design.  I love it.  After I do the trimming of the edges where the paint met the tape I'll paint the wrapped edges of the canvas.


I can see a lot of possibilities with this technique.  Perhaps some collage work within the glaze or other materials that are found then mixed with color to provide texture; or perhaps modeling paste as a basis for the painting.  The applications are only as limited as my imagination.


I'm also working on a painting using Sand Resin.  I've used it in the past a couple of times.  It can be a bit difficult for me to see how I want to complete paintings with the resin but it's a challenge and I like that.  I really want to try the glass beads.  I've seen some amazing work with that.  I've also seen artists doing wild things with newspaper and then painting over and then pulling back the layers.  Speaking of layers, I forgot the artists name, but he paints layers and layers of color (solid) on the canvas and then later painstakingly takes a scalpel and removes layers to reveal his painting.  It's fascinating to see.  I'm not sure if I'll try it out, but it's fascinating none the less.


These new ways of creating are wonderful.  I feel like a kid in a candy store.  Speaking of creating, I am in the process of setting up my own web site so that it is easier to view my work and to contact me.  I think I may have a few friends that might read this blog but the web site would provide for more feedback and greater visibility for my work - so stay tuned. :)


My intent is to work in the studio a little later today.  Alas, the other 'real' world pushes it's way to the forefront and I must go do some things today.


If you get a chance, just stop...close your eyes and imagine yourself somewhere wonderful...THERE....you're creating! Have a great day!


~Peace
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment