I've picked up a new book recently at B&N titled 'The Creative Edge' by Mary Todd Beam. Fascinating look at some new techniques and some old favorites. She comes from a watercolor background so her viewpoint on color and just freeing yourself to have fun with it is very refreshing. I've heard that before from other very talented artists. There are some amazing images of works from Nina Mihm, Edward Betts, Isabelle Lamar, and Linda Benton McCloskey to name a few. I am still learning the work and names of such talented folks. They give me great hope and inspiration.
I was also in a local thrift store and on my way out spotted a book. I picked it up and it was about William Halsey. He was a native of my hometown, Charleston, SC. He was a modernist in a place that is known for it's superb representation work. He helped bring about greater awareness of modern art in Charleston. I really enjoy his work. There are local artists here in Raleigh that are truly inspiring as well.
I am still trying to narrow down my 'voice' or at least find that continuity in my work that links it to me spiritually speaking. I have obviously learned a few things about my work:
1. I LOVE bold color and it's usage
2. I love working on large canvas (thanks for that inspiration Joe DiGiulio!)
3. I like the spontaneous nature of working with acrylics
4. I love very organic shapes
I'm sure there are other things that I could list but these are the 'biggies'. Now, just figuring out how to mature with all of those things. I think just practicing as much as possible and not worrying about the end result will give me the freedom to share myself on canvas.
I will confess that I do let myself become intimidated by other artists who've studied with this artist or that one and have a BFA from this wonderful art university, etc.... I know that there are valuable techniques and history that I've not learned. I console myself by watching and learning as much as I can from other expressionist artists. I am drawn by those who elicit a visceral reaction from me to their work.
I do find that I need to let go and not hold back. I think I have judgements in my mind sometimes that prohibit my creative process. This doesn't happen all the time but when it does I begin to second guess my work or the processes I'm using...does it look too amateurish? not developed enough in color? This is something that I need to continue working on.
Anyway, I ramble.
I'll close with a new picture of my more recent work added to the Blog and a quote that I recently found that I love....
I don't know what I'm doing most of the time,
but that is OK because I have a lot of fun. And,
isn't that the great gift of art? Always seeking,
always growing and always have the time of my life.
- Tom Jensen
Until next time...
~Peace
Michelle
Acrylic and Acrylic Inks on Wood Substrate - 30 x 30
Spring 2010
This is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I really appreciate the feedback.
ReplyDeletegood work!
ReplyDelete