Thursday, July 30, 2009

Organic news...

It's Thursday and it's nice and muggy outside. My plan is to work on the 'exterior art' (aka plants) today.

I wasn't always a plant lover. As a child my mother would make me help with her plant obsession. I really didn't like it. I would have much rather been curled up with a book or drawing inside than sweating away in our yard in the middle of summer. (miserable as it is during the day in the deep south)

Ironically all the while that I begrudged every moment, I was learning. Learning about what each plant was, where it liked to grow and most importantly, where it fit in the grand scheme of the garden. I didn't realize I was picking this up of course. I was too busy being a kid. However, I did learn placement and color combinations. Gardening is just art on a different scale.

Now that I'm older I appreciate the art of the garden and thank my Mother for instilling that into me even if it wasn't exactly my first love. She has an eye for detail that is next to none and would have been a great interior designer or even professional landscape artist. Thanks to her I know far more than I thought I did and I'm grateful for it. We pick up art tips from some very unusual places at times don't we? So - Thanks Mom! I know the difference between a Coleus and a Delphinium, among other things.

I'm also grateful for my emerging love of organic vegetable gardening. I'm learning the hard way on that one, but you tend to remember those mistakes. Hoping the garden fairies will help me out a bit, but they can be a bit feisty themselves.

So off I go to create more garden art in the yard (as well as remove the weeds and pesky beetles).

Go enjoy or create some 'yard art'! (or just sit outside with a margarita and enjoy!)

Live juicy today!

~Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment