Thursday, September 17, 2009

Rainy Day

It's rainy today. Still humid, but less hot. I'm ready for MUCH cooler temps but I'll take what I can get.

It's been a very stressful week. When are there weeks that do not feel stressful? It's funny how we perceive time during our lives. When I was a kid the time from Halloween to Christmas seemed to take FOREVER. Summer lasted at least 10 months (or so it seemed) and school at least 2 years. Now that I'm much older I blink and it's a new season again. Fall will soon be upon us. While I love the Fall all the holidays that come along with it I'm definitely not ready for.

It's a love hate relationship really. I have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) so the very weather that I love affects me adversely. Basically December and January are my most difficult times of the year. Christmas always seems to depress me for some reason. We hype this holiday up so much with our children and with images of the 'perfect' family holiday and it never translates to that does it? Many people I know dread it as well since that means traveling to see relatives that they may or may not get along with. I wish we could have these gentle, quiet holidays. Time spent with those we love without pressure or hassle or arguments or fatigue.

This reminds me of a story. When my husband and I were first married, my son was with his father for Thanksgiving. Knowing that we had had such a stressful year I took a chance and called a SC State Park for a cabin in the mountains and lucky for us someone had just canceled and it was open. We packed up our Jeep, cooking supplies, hiking gear and headed for the hills. I bought a small turkey and we checked into our wee cabin. It rained most of the time we were there but it was cold and quiet. We had the best Thanksgiving dinner sitting in silence, listening to the rain on the roof and the fire in the grate. Now with our children we try to make it calm with them as well. It doesn't have to be so frenzied as what most people make it out to be. I'm hoping that this year will be calm like that.

It's been a tough year for us. I know it's a bit early to be looking back since it's only September, but it has been tough. We've been through so much. Having started meditation has helped me tremendously but trying to incorporate it more frequently has proven difficult. I'm still not getting in the studio time that I want. I remember when that was the goal - once the kids were back in school - one day per week in the studio...no matter what. HA! That has yet to materialize. (the best intentions) We've had health, home and car issues but at least I can say we're all hanging in there.

Now that I've been a ray of sunshine today I'll stop my ramblings here.

Wishing whomever is actually reading this blog a great day and if no one is, I wish it for everyone including me. :)

~Peace
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment