I found out quite by accident that there was to be an open to the public session of a local Arts League with a professional Abstract Painter providing critiques of work. I called and found out that I could bring a couple of paintings and have this wonderful artist let me know what he thought.
I called one of my best friends to see if she would go with me. Thankfully she did. I'm usually a very outspoken person but I have to admit with the amount of butterflies in my stomach I thought I would not be able to speak.
Here was this celebrated artist - in the area of acrylics that I want to pursue giving me a critique of my art.
Several people were ahead of me and he gave some great feedback and advice where it was warranted. (there were SO many talented artists there). When it came time for my turn I went and got my paintings and put them up for him to see. I vaguely remembering him asking me some questions about my painting and then he basically told me that I had an eye for what I was doing and to definitely keep it up - that I could be very successful with it.
I thought I would explode. He didn't think it sucked! WOW! I mean, I like my work and my family/friends seem to like it, but to have a professional artist like it really made my day. In addition, I received great feedback from the other artists. I was even invited to join an Abstract art group. I think I could have flown home instead of driving I was so tickled.
Well, now that temporary stars in my eyes have gently fallen to earth I have to get my butt even more in gear. I have been painting a lot and think a decent body of work is coming together. Some days are better than others. I tried to paint today and it just wasn't 'there'. I think I've realized I can't really paint that well when the kids are running around the house or outside. Some distractions are okay, but the kids make it hard to disengage from my 'mommy mode' to artist mode (that's so cool, artist mode).
Anyway...yes my pride jumped a bit at the feedback but the work has to speak for itself. It's great to get feedback, but it's better to make art that I feel is great. There is a chance for a submission to an event in the Spring. I think I'll enter. Who knows, perhaps I could even have a shot at the 1000.00 prize money. You never know. I'll just be tickled if I'm accepted into the competition. There are lots of folks who are very talented that get rejected. I'll never know unless I submit my work and wait and see.
Those butterflies that I felt, well, I think they're a reminder that I have SO much to learn. They are also my teacher in that I need to let them go. No matter what happens with my work...whether it ends up never being shown anywhere or if one day I'm actually successful with it professionally speaking it'll be okay. I will be doing what I want to do which is creating.
There is so much that I feel is within me to bring to the canvas - emotions, memories of color, sight and sound. Things I would love to capture in some way on canvas. I want to evoke emotion, hopefully where the viewer feels some joy or thoughtfulness.
I have a lot to be thankful for all the events that led me to this point. If I never painted again I will at least have known what it was like to have perfect strangers really enjoy my work. As ashamed as I am to admit it, I am a tad vain and their pleasure regarding my work felt AWESOME! Guess that harkens back to my years and years of Ballet and loving the stage...this is a stage, but the dance is different - now the dance is on canvas.
I am humbled by the acceptance of the other artists, by the ability to see colors, to use them to express. I am eternally grateful for the gifts that I have - sight, smell, touch, hearing. I am grateful that I'm such a sensitive person that the colors in nature can make me cry and for that I'm happy. Not everyone is as emotional by what they see. I haven't met too many that are. I'm glad my husband can be that way at times so he understands how things can move me so.
Butterflies...perhaps I'm emerging now. Perhaps my colors are starting to unfold. I'm hopeful and excited.
~Peace
Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment