Monday, August 9, 2010

Dead AC and random thoughts

Okay so you don't realize how very spoiled you are until your AC dies in the middle of summer in the South.  Thankfully we have one saving grace - we have two units.  One for the upstairs and one for the downstairs.  It was the upstairs unit that is dead.  Needless to say we all are camping downstairs until it gets fixed.  Unfortunately no one is available until tomorrow afternoon to come 'take a look'.  Sigh....


However, we do so GREATLY appreciate the downstairs unit working!  Especially since I'm babysitting one of my best friends kids (so I have a house full) while she's out of town.  So there are 4 kids, 1 adult, 2 cats and 1 dog all hanging out downstairs to stay cool.  Good times. LOL


One of the major downsides to this story is that my Studio is upstairs.  It gets hot enough with the halogens that I'm using (for now) without an AC unit being dead.  So no painting for me today.


I'm reading a really cool book called FLOW and I can't even begin to pronounce the author's last name.  I this his name is Polish.  Very difficult.  Anyway, it's about finding your 'flow' in what you do that causes or facilitates your happiness.  I'm not very far in the book but it is quite interesting.  Unlike every other 'find your bliss' books which promise the moon and never deliver, this one indicates that you have to do the work and it makes no promises...no 10 easy steps...no special diet, etc.  I'll be interested in how it goes.  The idea is that when you find your flow you'll find your bliss.  It doesn't mean you won't have a bad day but your ability to bounce back from it is greatly increased.  That if you are doing what you love (where time ceases to exist and you go OH WOW, it's been 6 hours already?) that you'll have that flow and your work will be much more fulfilling.


Interesting concept.  


Different note...


In two weeks school will start.  YEE HAW!  I'm actually looking forward to the school year. I know that the kids are ready to go back and I'M ready for them to go back. LOL :)


It's funny how they're starting to say, "I'm bored"...that's good.  That will make them get more creative in finding things to do and reading has become much more interesting in the house.  (I love it)


It would be lovely if I could zip off to the beach and take my painting gear and stay in some dive of a little tiny house on the beach and just paint for a week.  Nothing but the sounds of the ocean, brushes against canvas and the occasional top being popped off of a Corona (with lime of course) or just a nice margarita.  Sand everywhere, slight sunburn where your clothes get a little scratchy, hair all windblown and messy, salty air, sounds of gulls, high tide...that would be wonderful.  Ahhhhhhhhhhh


I love the mountains and would REALLY love to live there someday but my soul is tied to the beach/ocean.  I grew up around beaches and spent whole summers camped at the beach, and I do mean WHOLE summers camped at the beach.  We used to stay at this State Park (Edisto Beach SC) when I was a girl.  We pitched this very large tent and stayed in it for a month or so at a time.  We were pitched in the Dunes so we got great breezes off the ocean.  It was wonderful to sleep in the front of the tent where the netting was and look at the stars at night and hear the surf.  


If I were a representational artist, I think that I would paint beach scenes.  My dear friend Deb is an oil painter.  She paints ocean-scapes and sea creatures.  She really has an eye.  It's not your average boring beach scene...she does tidal pools and jellyfish and fish of all kinds.  I especially love her painting of a tidal pool.  It's really lovely.  I have to be honest, I would also try to paint some mountain scenes.  My husband is from Colorado and I look at pictures from where he's from and it makes me homesick for a place I've never been to.  I think one day years from now we'll move out west somewhere.  I would prefer somewhere where it stays pretty cool all year round.  I really HATE humidity.  That is one thing about being from the South that I've never loved.


Anyway...I ramble.


As far as my progress with my paintings is concerned I'm progressing well.  I'm about 80% completed with my oldest son's painting.  I'm still layering and sanding the canvases for a commission and I meet with another person tomorrow evening for another commission but the painting will be much smaller.  I'm very excited.  Things are really moving along.  I'm going to have to look into getting my own website soon.  I didn't want to go that route until I actually had a greater body of work completed.  I think I'm at a place now that I can do that.


Well, I hope that everyone is cool and comfortable - that you find one thing today that gets you excited and puts a big smile on your face.


~Peace,
Michelle



Still Waters - Summer 2010 
Acrylic, acrylic inks on canvas





No comments:

Post a Comment