Friday, August 20, 2010

Expect a Miracle

I used to hear 'Expect a Miracle!' on my Grandma's TV as a kid while she was watching whatever preacher-du-jour was broadcasting.  I was always very skeptical of that and cautious.  Part of me was like 'who am I to think I'm special enough to have something wondrous occur to me' and the other was like 'yeah, like that's going to happen'.  


Obviously I'm a LOT older now (grin) and don't listen to such programs.  However, I do believe in the miraculous.  However, we've all been here: Stuff happens and you hope that things will turn out well but you don't want to hope too much just in case it doesn't and you've built yourself up for a great fall.


I belong to a Buddhist Meditation group or Sangha as it's called.  The fascinating thing about that philosophy is that the 'miraculous' is said to be around us in this very instant. Right here, right now!  The milk in the glass, the dirt on the floor, the smile on a child's face, the bill on my table and the sun shining.  All miracles, all occurring now.


I was meditating on what we think of when we say miracles and what most folks think it means.  I know that the amazing is right before our eyes.  If we weren't present right now, we'd miss even the most mundane, therefore being here is miraculous.


Trying to keep that in mind with a rather difficult week was a hard thing to do.  It is ALL too easy to fall into a state of 'unconsciousness' and just go through the day like a robot.  With the difficulties that have arisen in my day to day life lately I've tried to focus on the little things and accept that miraculous things come my way all the time if I'm just willing to see them. 


A couple of new miracles have come my way:  1. I've got a commission that I'm almost done with and at the end I'll be paid - it's for a lovely couple who are getting married next month.  (To which I wish them immense happiness together!)  2.  I sold a painting last night - so I'll get paid for that Tuesday. The miracle that I wasn't expecting was income that was greatly needed and I hadn't a clue where it was going to come from.  


I'm very humbled and happy that someone loves my work to the point they're willing to purchase my work to take it home to display.  That is what I do this for... not only for my enjoyment but for the enjoyment of others.  Sharing a bit of myself for the world to see, through my eyes.


The secondary benefit is obviously getting paid for my work.  I'm very, very grateful for that.  It helps us tremendously.  Having my own (albeit small) income again means a lot to me.


In addition to the many daily 'miracles' I have (waking up again, seeing/holding/loving my family, food, shelter, etc...) I now have even more to be thankful for.


I will work hard to never take for granted the gifts that I'm given.


Now that I've gone all philosophical today (LOL)....


I hope you have a truly MIRACULOUS weekend!


~Peace
Michelle  ;D


PS.  I know you're tired of that word by now.  :D



No comments:

Post a Comment