Sunday, August 1, 2010

Interpretations

I love to see movies where everyone comes away with a different experience.  Just like looking at abstract/contemporary art.  We call can look at a painting and come away with different feelings, impressions, moods.


We saw the movie INCEPTION today.  I actually really enjoyed it.  I loved the layers to the story.  My fellow movie goers had different impressions of it.  Everyone liked it but for different reasons and at different levels of 'like'.  


This ties to painting critiques.  I enjoy the way that a group of people can look at a painting and see some commonalities and then pick up on some small nuance.  To each his own, right?


I've given a lot of thought on the feedback that I received at the last VAE Abstract/Contemporary group meeting/critique.  I woke up with an idea to challenge myself based upon their recommendations.


I usually work with very bold colors.  The challenge was to create something large scale that is more muted...more like my SENTINELS painting.  Perhaps that piece is the most honest of my pieces.  Perhaps it shares a bit of my inner realm where my emotions have yet to give birth to image.  Who knows?  Perhaps I'm full of crap.  Either way, I think it's touched a nerve.  I think that I NEED to explore this style.  I think I need to do a series in this mode.  On some level I believe that this is a necessary and possibly cathartic endeavor.  Guess we'll have to wait and see what arises though all of this 'exploration'.


The VAE group's interpretation of my small painting has opened pandora's box it seems.  I, for one, am very interested as to where this rabbit hole will take me.


In the meantime, I'm still working on a large, very bold, piece.  It's still taking quite a bit of time since I have to work on it in small chunks of time. (kids out of school, house work, you get the picture)


On a totally non-art related note, I have to give a HUGE congrats to my husband who has been studying and interpreting project management concepts and theory for a while in order to take the PMP exam.  He did so yesterday and PASSED!  Congratulations Honey, I knew you could do it all along! (It's a pretty hard test for those who don't know) 


Any-hooo....


Enjoy your Sunday.  Surround yourself in beauty whether in reality or in your mind.


~Peace
Michelle



Surprise! Not one of my paintings but a picture of our two kitties Egon (left) and Gypsy (right)...taking a nap.  What a wonderful Sunday afternoon activity.  Enjoy! :)





2 comments:

  1. Interesting about INCEPTION--I enjoyed the story, but felt the whole time I had to endure those special effects. It seemed way too long for me and could have left lots of my time on the cutting room floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the special effects. I was more intrigued by the implications of the story. The layers...delving into the mind...that completely fascinated me.

    Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete