Sunday, December 20, 2009

Cool Yule

Last night we had a really nice Yule party at our house. We invited some friends (unfortunately some couldn't make it) and just had some wonderful food and fun. The kids played and we stuffed ourselves with really awesome food. (did I mention the awesome food?) :D

The fireplace was lit and holiday music playing - hearing laughter in the house is music to my ears. I love that sound. I want it to soak into the walls and through the very foundation of the house. That the house radiates that kind of contentment is what I love.

This time of year almost always makes me look more inward. I pull back within myself and take it all in. Watching friends and family enjoy themselves, I just want to bottle that and have it on hand when things are tough.

It has been a tough year for everyone in one way, shape or form. We've all had our share of triumphs and tragedies. Somehow we bounce back. I'm not sure how but we do. There has been so much this year and yet it still feels as if it flew by.

Well, Christmas is at our heels and will be here and gone before we know it. The paper will be in the trash and toys and gifts will be stowed away. My wish is that we could keep some of that holiday spirit with us throughout the coming year. Yule is a time of recognizing that the days of sunlight are beginning to get longer. Light is returning to the earth. Ancient people recognized this and celebrated. I think that light is not only the literal light but the light within us all. Perhaps we can nurture that light more and more this new year. Maybe we can completely change the way we see the world, others and ourselves. Maybe this year we can live more in the present and be more kind hearted and generous and creative. Maybe we can find a little more peace within our own hearts.

So Yule is here. (Merry Yule) Christmas is quickly on it's way. Let's all try to look beyond the packages under the tree and instead look at those we love (and ourselves) and express our gratitude for the gift of one another.

~Peace be with you and yours
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment