Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Glitch in the Matrix

It's funny being very right brained - I find that I'm a much more mercurial personality than many of my left brained counterparts.  I'm much more apt to go with my gut even in the presence of hard data.  I'm emotional and am always seeking for meaning in life, and very affected by which way the proverbial wind blows.  I'm a very 'vibe' oriented person. LOL


Being an admitted sensitive soul I pick up a lot of stuff from other people.  Thats not always a good thing.  I can be in a relatively good mood and someone comes along and can just take it with them like a balloon, then I take on whatever they brought with them.  Perhaps they felt better when they left, however, I then feel worse.


Learning how not to do that is something I would love to do. 


It really does make me feel like I have a glitch in my matrix when that happens.  How can I go from relative good mood to down-right drained in the span of moments?  It's a mystery - but alas that is one of my quirks that I have to deal with.


What does that have to do with my art you ask?


Well, I'm so affected by what is in the moment that I find it hard to plan ahead.  I was recently watching a very well respected abstract artist's video.  In it he talks about the importance of doing series work and drawing out ahead of time what you will do and leaving work and continuing later on....


Admittedly, I've tried this.  I really have.  It doesn't work so well for me.


I find that my painting is almost like those people you may have read about who do automatic writing.  It is believed that they are just the vessel for the words to come to paper and they have no memory of having said or written them until its over.  Now I can't say that it's exactly like that for me but I do have the sensation that some part of me steps back and the other part moves forward and just works intently.  That other part doesn't stop unless interrupted or I have the sense of completion.  I can work for hours like that.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this type of experience.


Another type of glitch?


That is when I don't listen to my dominant half...the right brain.  When I try to 'think' about it too much, well...that is when there is a glitch and any idea that I had a slight handle on just evaporates - as if it had never existed at all.


Today I felt glitchy.  I tried to sink my head into art today and I couldn't find my groove.  I felt distracted and alienated from that part of me that really wanted to paint.  


Anyhooooo....


As an aside, my painting titled 'Michele's Gift', which is a gift for my commission's future husband was a hit!  I was very glad she loved it.  I'll have it posted soon.  So yesterday I  sold my first commissioned painting.  Woo Hoo! :)


Well, after I've filled your brain with all this 'deep' stuff, I hope you have an exciting evening!


~Peace
Michelle



2 comments:

  1. I need to ponder all of this. But, off the top of my head the ability to pass good to others, in exchange for some of thier pain may be a gift few of us are blessed with. Who knows how your right brain will process it onto your canvases?

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon. Sorry it's been a while since I've written. We've had a lot of relatives in the hospital.

    I appreciate your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete