With the amount of chaos most of us have in our lives anymore it is so very easy to get buried in the weight of it all. I completely understand getting frustrated or losing perspective and being overwhelmed.
I was reading an article this week that piqued my interest in regard to how we view our problems. In the article it said instead of asking 'Why is this happing TO me?' we should ask, 'Why is this happening FOR me?'. At first I wasn't sure of what to make of this. I've been trying to practice being more mindful and 'present' day to day. I've also tried to think more positively overall. But this new question threw me for a bit until I saw that it was pointing in the same direction that I wanted to go. To solutions and not the problems.
By asking what is this doing FOR me we're examining the impacts of the issues versus letting the issue completely impact us and immobilize us. This is revolutionary thinking (well, at least to me it was). How refreshing to start viewing our problems as potential teachers versus sinister villans. When I can't find my artistic 'muse' what is that teaching me? When the toilets have all clogged and I'm late for a meeting, what does that teach? What if no one ever buys another one of my paintings, what would that teach me as well?
I think instead of going through my life on auto-pilot, I'll be trying to be more open to the good and the not so good things that happen to me. Exploring those things we find not smooth and shiny but rough and uncomfortable. I think peace is finding contentment in the icky parts of life. I know I'm working toward learning to love the green grass as well as the thick mud.
(Hey, I'm feeling optimistic today, so go with me on this one...lol...it may not be this way tomorrow. :D)
Anyway...so think about that the next time you're wondering if the reason your luck has gone into the crapper is because you guess that you must have burned a village of nuns in a previous life, that the experience is there to teach you something and I'll try to do the same. Man, I guess we really are all in the same boat, huh?
Enjoy this fine Fall day with someone special. :)
~Peace
Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment