Okay...so I have a beef with art magazines.
If you are an abstract artist or an artist that works in acrylics you're mostly out of luck. There are a TON of oil painting magazines - lots of techniques of the 'old masters'. There are pastel and watercolor magazines. There is even a magazine for air brushing. I have yet to see an 'modern' acrylic-only magazine. Perhaps there are some out there and I've just not seen them.
Now there are art magazines that show various types of art such as Art News and Hi-Fructose and Blue Canvas. Collector magazines and folk painting. I have noticed that Blue Canvas shows a more diverse collection of art, however, Hi-Fructose shows very homogenized art to me. I like the Art News and Art Calendar magazines...they're pretty good.
I would love to see an art magazine that is exclusively on acrylics and not just portraiture or landscapes. Now don't get me wrong, I know there is much to be learned from the traditional art models. However, as fast as new media are being developed it would be great to see this in action in a magazine. Abstract acrylic art would be awesome but I guess I'd be pushing it there. The magazines I see do a lot with digital media or installation art. That stuff is cool. I guess I would just like to see a magazine that addresses the concerns and questions about the techniques that acrylic artists are using, etc...
I find it funny too the magazines that deal with collectors/collections. There are tons of photos of people who are buying art. I don't know about you but yes, I would like to know who is buying art but I don't need to buy a magazine that shows people buying art (and not much about the art). I'm sure there are enough people out there that are just pleased as punch that magazine exists.
Its funny when you realize that what you do kind of falls between the cracks. In addition to the traditional art mediums we also have digital arts and journal arts and blogging arts, steampunk, bookmaking, art journaling, and even a magazine that shows the studios of artists. I have to admit to the guilty pleasure of looking at the last one. I just get to drool over the fact that these artists have these AMAZING work spaces. Sigh...just jealous. lol
I'm grateful that there are art magazines. I do pick up Art News and sometimes Blue Canvas (where I have my work) as well as Art Calendar which, by the way, is a very useful magazine in deed.
Don't mind my ramblings. I'm just a frustrated artist who has to live, for the time being, vicariously through the pages of art magazines and in many of them I just don't see myself or my style of work. Its all good though because I will be back in the studio as soon as I can and won't have the time to worry over magazines and their content and whether it is relevant to me or not. Anyway, its good to be different! :D
Here is hoping that you enjoy your art or art magazine(s) regardless of your media or style. I really do appreciate you all!
~Peace
Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment